In this webinar, we offer activity suggestions, books, songs, and practical tips to create a diverse and inclusive early years classroom. We cover the bases of race, gender and ability in this session as well as how to include parents in the conversation!
- Activity Sheets For Diversity
- Books To Talk About Gender with Young Children
- How to Talk to Children About Race
- TED Talk by Beverly Daniel Tatum (Talking to children about race)
- An inclusive classroom – Educators can promote inclusivity by identifying and celebrating racial, gender, and ability differences in the classroom.
- Listen and offer choice – Empower children to choose whatever toys, colours and books they want to work with based on their interest! This helps them form their own perspective on things.
- Involve parents – Invite parents into the classroom to share their experiences (through food, show and tell, storytime) and build relationships from there.
- Get curious – Use a child’s natural curiosity to engage in teaching moments. Ask them why they think a certain way. If you are uncomfortable, there is no harm in looping parents into the conversation!
Shoutouts from the audience
sometimes, when you talk about it, you end up drawing the children’s attention to differences that they may not have not noticed.
Have you seen Beverly Daniel Tatum’s TED Talk for parents to help them talk about race? It starts with her son’s being asked if his skin was brown because he drank so much chocolate milk. Very accessible resource, particularly for white families.
We had parties 2/3 times a year and the parents would bring in a dish from their country, and we would make flags with the children – we all loved it
Children are innocence so when we have that teaching moment remember to make it teachable in the right way.
Biggest challenge is recognizing when we are unintentionally exclusive so we can make adjustment in the moment.
To get the recording and slides sent right to your email, please fill out the form below!
The HiMama child care app helps to streamline your digital parent communications. Book a consultation with us today to learn how we can support your child care center during this time.
This was a much needed webinar, thank you for all your great views and resources!