In this webinar we were welcomed by Kayla Warburton, MEd in curriculum studies and early childhood educator! Kayla joined us to discuss how you can create an inclusive learning environment at your center. She focused on the ways we can create a safe space for the children in our care, and how we can comfortably embrace challenging conversations with children. Kayla also discussed how we can reflect on internalized stigmas of gender and sexuality and how we can alleviate fears we have to create a more inclusive space for all children. Keep reading to access the slides and the recording!
🎤Our Special Guests:
Kayla Warburton- MEd, ECE, Customer Success Specialist at HiMama
Kayla is a mother to a toddler and was born and raised in Toronto, Ontario. She entered into the child care space at a young age; first, as a volunteer at before and after school programs, and then as a youth mentor, tutor and reading buddy at various organizations. Kayla went on to receive her Bachelor of Arts Honours In Drama and Criminology from the University of Windsor in 2013. She then reentered the child care space as an assistant director of a school age program and later as a preschool teacher. In 2018 Kayla returned to school and achieved a 4.0 in the Master of Education program at OISE, University of Toronto. Kayla studied Curriculum Studies & Teacher Development with emphasis in Arts in Education, STEM Education, and Critical Pedagogy (focus on anti-oppressive approaches to education). Kayla has helped organize conferences such As the AAACS (American Association for the Advancement of Curriculum Studies) and has now joined the HiMama team to support educators with relevant & applicable professional development content.
🧪Key Learning Outcomes from Kayla!
- One of the fears teachers have when they begin thinking about doing anti-homophobia and anti-transphobia education work is the fear of parent opposition. A key way of addressing this is to maintain an ongoing dialogue with your parent community, know your support systems should the conversations be overwhelming, remember that for many families this education is critical for the safety of their children, and at the end of the day, it is about the kids.
- Create a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance). Research show that schools with a GSA report lower levels of anti-LGBTQ+ bullying and harassment.
- Marginalized individuals need an ally. To be an effective ally we need to be genuine in our support, which requires a commitment to constant learning, and un-learning some beliefs.
- Creating a school culture that expects and accepts LGBTQ students and families means making sure LGBTQ and other marginalized students see themselves represented in the curriculum, in every single one of their classes.
- [Website] – HiMama
- [Webinar] – Creating an inclusive learning environment at your center
📅What’s Next on HiMama Helps?
Space is limited and you don’t miss out on our next webinar — register today to reserve your spot!
🖥️ Watch Recording
To get the recording and slides sent right to your email, please fill out the form below! Please note: only participants who attended the live session receive a certificate of participation. It’s up to each individual to verify whether the certificates will be accepted in their region.
⭐Connect with us!
We want to hear from you! Fill out our survey to help us improve your webinar experience. Please do not ask for certificates here, as we can not follow up with you. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and Facebook.
Running a Child Care Centre is Hard…
We’d love to make it
a little much easier! Did you know that parents are increasingly evaluating childcare centers on whether they offer digital parental communication, photo and video updates, and contactless check-in and billing? The HiMama child care app helps to streamline your digital parent communications, join the family today and get a quote!
Professional development made easy with HiMama Academy
HiMama Academy is a new self-paced, online professional development platform designed to elevate early childhood educators through a wide range of engaging, high-quality training courses.
Click this link HERE to get unlimited access to our library of IACET certified training courses and all HiMama Helps Webinars (with certificates!)