This week, we welcomed Dr. Cara Goodwin, Psychologist and founder of Parenting Translator.. Dr. Cara spoke some important tips and strategies to help children with autism and developmental delays in the classroom. She gave us great tips on setting the children up for success through visual aids and structure while giving advice on how to handle behavioral challenges you may face.
🎤Our Special Guest:
Dr. Cara Goodwin, Psychologist, Founder of Parent Translator
Dr. Cara Damiano Goodwin, PhD is a licensed psychologist and a mother of three children. She specializes in child development and has spent many years doing research in child psychology and neuroscience, assessing children for developmental problems, conducting therapy with children of all ages, and training parents on how to use the most recent scientific findings to help their children. Dr. Goodwin founded Parenting Translator with the mission of taking recent scientific research and translating it into information that parents can use in their everyday lives! She provides free resources for parents through her website Parenting Translator and Instagram account @parentingtranslator. Her goal is to help busy parents by providing information on scientific research that is useful, accurate, and relevant!
🧪Key Learning Outcomes from Dr. Cara
- Children with autism and developmental disabilities benefit from increased visual aids and structure
- Have a structured classroom and minimize distractions
- Plan and prepare the children for transitions, explain classroom rules and expectations and then gradually expose the child to change
- Increase a child’s engagement and motivation by getting their interests, and follow their lead
- Teach new skills and behavior through prompting and other behavioral principles
- When faced with challenging behavior, there is no cure-all function. Try and understand what is happening before, during, and after the behavior.
- Break down the function of the behavior: Attention, Tangible, Escape, and Sensory.
- When teaching new skills break them down into small steps.
- [Podcast] – Working with Children with Developmental Delays
Connect with Dr. Cara
- Check out her Website www.parentingtranslator.com
- Follow her on Instagram @parentingtranslator
- Order Dr. Cara’s Book: What to do when you feel like hitting, a no hitting book for toddlers
📅What’s Next on HiMama Helps?
Space is limited and you don’t miss out on our next webinar — register today to reserve your spot!
🖥️ Watch Recording
To get the recording and slides sent right to your email, please fill out the form below!
⭐Connect with us!
We want to hear from you! Fill out our survey to help us improve your webinar experience. Please do not ask for certificates here, as we can not follow up with you. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and Facebook.
Running a Child Care Centre is Hard…
We’d love to make it
a little much easier! Did you know that parents are increasingly evaluating childcare centers on whether they offer digital parental communication, photo and video updates, and contactless check-in and billing? The HiMama child care app helps to streamline your digital parent communications, join the family today and get a quote!