With a lot of centers preparing to reopening in the coming months, it’s important to redefine what “normal” will look like with COVID-19. In this session, we’ll go over the reopening planning experience of our special guest, Heather Hansen.
🎤 Our Special Guest
Heather Hansen has an Early Childhood program that is turning 25 years old this coming September. She has been in the field of ECE since 1986 and during this tenure, she has worn many hats as a daycare director, a podcaster, a presenter, a consultant, a practicum supervisor, a story writer, a founding board member, a part time faculty member at her local ECE college. She still dabbles in all of this, but running her program does indeed take the majority of her time.
🧪 Key Learning Outcomes
- Meet up with staff – In her preparations, Heather has transitioned from Zoom to in-person meetings with her team in the parking lot of her center. In the weeks leading up to reopening, it’s a good idea to reconnect with your team in-person to get that team energy up!
- Survey your parents – Have a plan and survey your parents before reopening. This will help you prioritize which families to bring back into the centers with reduced ratios. She also advises to keep lines of communication open and balanced to reassure parents of the measures you’re putting in place at your center.
- Screening kids outside – Health screenings will be a new part of the daily routine at the childcare. Heather has decided to do her health screenings outside and not allowing parents to enter the building.
- HiMama COVID-19 Resource Hub
- American Academy of Pediatrics Guidance On COVID-19
- Madeley Nursery School “Adapting to Change” Video
- Susan Stacey Blog
- Connect with Heather on Facebook at Dew Resources
✨ Comments from the audience
Lisa Riviera on her reopening experience:
It has been interesting. New drop off and pick up procedures in place. Only allowing essential staff and students into the building. Daily temperature checks, wellness questions, mask wearing and classroom social distancing.
Janeen Wallace on handling materials:
We are going to take away all puppets, dressup clothes…things that cannot be washed easily will be removed.
🖥️ Watch Recording
To get the recording and slides sent right to your email, please fill out the form below!
The HiMama child care app helps to streamline your digital parent communications. Book a consultation with us today to learn how we can support your child care center during this time.
Thank you for the link, this information will really help us to get ready to go back.
Can’t wait to see you or hear you next week.
Thank you so much for doing these! Such helpful information and reminder that we truly are all in this together!
I so appreciate you sending out the email with recording of sessions as I have been unable to get connected to the live ones. Thank you SO much!!
Good day.. I’m in South Africa… I guess procedures may be different if and when we reopen Educare Centre here I guess basics will remi… Interest to find out is there a charge on joining… If so how much..