In this webinar, we welcomed Stuart J Murphy, visual learning strategist, and author. Stuart dove into practical ideas for using visual models to prompt understanding mathematics in young children, while providing key ideas and insights on how to use stories to engage young children as they develop their literacy skills.
🎤Our Special Guest!
Stuart J Murphy, Visual Learning Strategist, and Author
Stuart is the author of the award-winning MathStart series, 63 children’s books that present mathematical concepts in the context of stories for Pre-K through Grade 4. He is also the author of Stuart J. Murphy’s I SEE I LEARN, a 16-book series of storybooks for children in Pre-K through Grade 1 that focus on social, emotional, health and safety, and cognitive skills. Additionally, Stuart is on the authorship teams of a number of educational programs and an advocate of helping our children develop their visual learning skills to become more successful students.
🧪Key Learning Outcomes From Stuart
- Early Childhood educators can effectively use storybooks and visual models to assure that young students learn the social and emotional skills they need to be successful in mathematics.
- For children to be successful in mathematics, teachers must infuse “can do” and “can’t wait to do” attitudes into their everyday math practices.
- Display materials that help explain ideas.
- Have children search for real-life examples and report their findings.
- Work with children to create stories that include mathematical ideas.
- Encourage children to sketch as part of their math note-taking process.
- Maintain a math literature library!
- [Podcast] – Visual Learning As A Teaching Practice
Connect with Stuart
- Check out his website
- Take time to check into the freebies and other great pieces to purchase on Mathstart and I See I learn.
📅What’s Next on HiMama Helps?
Space is limited and you don’t miss out on our next webinar, register today to reserve your spot!
🖥️ Watch Recording
To get the recording and slides sent right to your email, please fill out the form below!
⭐Connect with us!
Running a Child Care Centre is Hard…
We’d love to make it
a little much easier! Did you know that parents are increasingly evaluating childcare centers on whether they offer digital parental communication, photo and video updates, and contactless check-in and billing? The HiMama child care app helps to streamline your digital parent communications, join the family today and get a quote!