In this session, we chat about the changes to the Child Care and Early Years Act (CCEYA) that came into effect this month. We will be joined by Linda Martin, RECE and Director of Green Apple Kids, and Ryan J. Eickmeier, Chief Executive Officer at Helping Hands Daycare. Linda and Ryan are going to dive into how the changes to the CCEYA will impact their centres as well as their reasons for going digital.
🎤Our Special Guests!
Linda is a graduate of Ryerson University, with BAA ECE, and has been fortunate to have long-term tenures with both large and small-sized organizations, based in community settings. She enjoys engagement within the local neighborhoods and participants in local events and causes. Linda’s role at Green Apple Kids has afforded her the opportunity to work alongside the local police division and community hospital (St. Joseph’s). Their focus on social engagement and volunteerism is shared enthusiastically with their families and staff.
When Linda is not working in the community, you can probably find her digging in her garden or hanging out with family cheering on our home teams!
🧪Key Learning Outcomes from Linda
- Educators know, change is ever-present. From the CCEYA to federal funding to county changes, it’s all led to being very resilient.
- The toughest part of the changes has been timing, since they are coming during a rough time due to COVID-19.
- A key way to help convey the changes is to make sure parents and staff are informed. Provide everyone with the tools, understanding the whys, and having a conversation about all the changes is very important.
- There has been a shift in people’s mindset and now we have come to an alignment with being able to think outside the box but still have guidelines to follow.
Ryan is the Chief Executive Officer of Helping Hands Daycare, where he strategically leads all aspects of the organization. Across 9 centers, Helping Hands provides safe and educational space for over 900 children, from infant to school age. Academically, Ryan has earned a Bachelor of Arts (B.A) in political science from New England College, a Master of Public Policy (M.P.P.) from The American University School of Public Affairs, a Master of Law (LL.M) at York University’s Osgoode Hall Law School, and an Executive Master of Business Administration (E.M.B.A) at the University of Fredericton’s Sandermoen School of Business.
🧪Key Learning Outcomes from Ryan
- This has been a watershed moment in the childcare industry.
- We are changing historic processes that we are comfortable with.
- The biggest change will be with the reaction from programs and operating for more than 3 hours. It’s a significant change that could present a challenge for licensed childcare providers when it comes to offering school-age programs.
- Clear language on being able to use digital recording keeping. This hasn’t been clear in the past because of the interpretation and this statement allows us to move forward with a change and guidance.
- Take your time with the change and start piece by piece so you don’t get overwhelmed with onboarding a digital platform.
- Changes to Ontario Childcare Regulation in 2021: What you need to know. [Blog post]
- We are here to help you! Learn more about how HiMama can help childcare providers in Ontario!
- Want to know more about the changes to the CCEYA? Check out the Government of Ontario website.
📅What’s Next on HiMama Helps?
Space is limited and you don’t miss out on our next webinar — register today to reserve your spot!
🖥️ Watch Recording
To get the recording and slides sent right to your email, please fill out the form below!
⭐Connect with us!
Running a Child Care Centre is Hard…
We’d love to make it
a little much easier! Did you know that parents are increasingly evaluating childcare centers on whether they offer digital parental communication, photo and video updates, and contactless check-in and billing? The HiMama child care app helps to streamline your digital parent communications, join the family today and get a quote!