In this webinar, we welcomed Prerna Richards, Coach, Consultant, and Founder of Together We Grow. Prerna talked about how early childhood education plays a critical role in developing preschoolers to be inclusive and accepting of others.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion seem to be buzzwords these days, but what do they all mean? During the session, we took a closer look at the role of leaders and educators in creating programs, policies, and approaches that reflect these values. We also discussed practical tips to create environments where everyone is welcome and included!
🎤Our Special Guest!
Prerna Richards, CEO and Founder of Together We Grow
Prerna Richards is a coach, consultant, trainer, and international speaker. She has been in the early childhood education fiePrerna Richards is a coach, consultant, trainer, and international speaker. She has been in the early childhood education field for the past 35 years and started her consulting business two years ago called Together We Grow to provide professional development, coaching, and consulting for educators and individual families. Her educational philosophy is grounded in a play-based approach along with a strong social-emotional foundation. She is the winner of Susan Hargrave’s trainer of the year award from TXAEYC in 2020.
🧪Key Learning Outcomes From Prerna
- Diversity means the understanding that each individual is unique and recognizing our individual differences.
- Inclusion is the act of including someone or something as part of a group.
- Equality means having access to equal opportunities, no matter the race or socioeconomic status.
- Equity means making the playing field level.
- Show up and be your authentic self. When you do this and share about ourselves we help build an anti-biased educator.
- Create a classroom with open-ended materials and use natural play to set children up with a building block for equity.
- [Podcast] – Improving Children’s Attention Spans Through Play
- [Webinar] – Strategies for Supporting Focus and Development in the Classroom
- Check out our activities on diversity
- Connect with Prerna Check out her website Together We Grow
- Book List of recommendations: The Greatness Chair. by Kathleen Friend, The Wonderful Things You Will Be. by Emily Winfield Martin, Incredible Me. by Kathi Appelt, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. By Mister Rogers
- [Video] Anti-Bias Lessons Help Preschoolers Hold Up a Mirror to Diversity
📅What’s Next on HiMama Helps?
Space is limited and you don’t miss out on our next webinar, register today to reserve your spot!
🖥️ Watch Recording
To get the recording and slides sent right to your email, please fill out the form below!
⭐Connect with us!
Running a Child Care Centre is Hard…
We’d love to make it
a little much easier! Did you know that parents are increasingly evaluating childcare centers on whether they offer digital parental communication, photo and video updates, and contactless check-in and billing? The HiMama child care app helps to streamline your digital parent communications, join the family today and get a quote!