In this session, we were joined by Jordana Shakoor, Founder of JYS Consultants and PosiPower Concepts. Jordana talked about shifting perspectives from seeing diversity as a requirement, to seeing diversity as an exciting learning experience for both the children and the educators, and how genuine curiosity when learning about new cultures makes celebrating cultural differences cultures a more natural process.
🎤Our Special Guest!
Jordana Y. Shakoor
Jordana Y. Shakoor, M.Ed. is the founder and president of JYS Consultants PosiPower Concepts, Inc, www.posipowerconcepts.com, a 27 year old training and consulting firm located in Westerville, Ohio. Shakoor is a graduate of The Ohio State University with a degree in psychology and a minor in education. She has a Master in Education M.Ed.- Curriculum and Professional Development from Otterbein University. In addition, Shakoor is a 2021 instructor at the Ohio State University – John Glenn MAPS program. Shakoor has extensive experience with Department of Human Service agencies, children services, Community Action, and Head Start programs. Additionally, Jordana Shakoor has presented seminars and training for urban and suburban school districts, universities, and the private sector. Shakoor is the author of the critically acclaimed memoir Civil Rights Childhood (University Press of Mississippi. This book was selected as “1-of-40 Best of The Best” by the American Library Association and the Association of University Presses. Civil Rights Childhood is a coursebook in school districts and universities around the world. Part II of this memoir is near completion.
🧪Key Learning Outcomes From Jordana
- You need to think positively! Your positive self-image is something that you should always work on.
- A PosiTeacher demonstrates acceptance of diversity in the classroom and with all children, even difficult children.
- You can start with simple ways to include diversity in the classroom, cover a different language every month with a welcome and good by greeting.
- Diversity is everything that makes people different from each other, and there are so many different factors that work together to inform how children encounter the world.
- In a positive classroom, there is respect, communication, positive talk, encouragement, fairness, praise, a committed educator, fun, learning talk, and children becoming their best selves!
- Ask yourself, “Are YOU comfortable with a difference?”
- [Podcast] – Celebrating Diversity In Preschool
Connect with Jordana
- [Website] – www.posipowerconcepts.com
📅What’s Next on HiMama Helps?
Space is limited and you don’t miss out on our next webinar, register today to reserve your spot!
🖥️ Watch Recording
To get the recording and slides sent right to your email, please fill out the form below!
⭐Connect with us!
We want to hear from you! Fill out our survey to help us improve your webinar experience and don’t forget to follow us on Social media Instagram and Facebook.
Running a Child Care Centre is Hard…
We’d love to make it
a little much easier! Did you know that parents are increasingly evaluating childcare centers on whether they offer digital parental communication, photo and video updates, and contactless check-in and billing? The HiMama child care app helps to streamline your digital parent communications, join the family today and get a quote!
So I watched a recording of Celebrating Diversity in the classroom, but I can’t seem to pull up the certificate for it. Could it be resent to me?